Pages

Friday, July 10, 2015

Witness to Service: COP 2015

Getting ready to give my witness talk on COP
Over the past two years, I have committed to full time service. I served in South Jersey last year, and this year at CYFM. Both organizations emphasize simple living, a ministry of presence, and intentional community. These three components proved especially critical, as I experienced life-changing events, shaping me for who I am today.

After graduate school I was still unsure about what I was doing or where I was going. But then, in the midst of making travel arrangements to visit my late Aunt Emma for her 100th birthday, something in my heart told me that I should take off a few days and volunteer at a soup kitchen in Philadelphia called St. Francis Inn. I had always wanted to go there and help out, and this would be a chance to do that! I thought about the Gospel of Matthew Chapter 25:40, “whatever you did for the least of my brethren you did for me.” Matthew 25 has taught me the importance of seeing God in others, and helping them to reach their potential.

At the St. Francis Inn, I became aware of a yearlong service opportunity with Franciscan Volunteer Ministry. After a long application and interview process, I was assigned to serve for 11 months in Camden, New Jersey. Little did I know, this commitment would be a turning point in my life, and would help shape me into the man I am today.

In August 2013, I left behind three jobs to embark on a new chapter in my faith journey at St. Anthony of Padua Church and School. During these 11 months, I lived very modestly, and in an intentional community with three other volunteers. It doesn’t sound ideal, but the people I encountered and the life-changing experiences were priceless.

The first component of service that I encountered was simple living. This means that I not only sought out to serve the poor, but each member of my community was intentionally living off of $80 per month. But, there were people I encountered in Camden who had close to nothing! By living simply, I was living in solidarity with those who I came to serve, and who could not help themselves, while understanding them on a personal level.

While living in service over the past two years, I have vastly come to appreciate the importance of this ministry. First, there was this place at St. Anthony known as Francis House. For 19 years, Francis House ministered to HIV and AIDS patients; and was full of many phenomenal people who I will forever call my brothers and sisters. And during my time in Camden, I vastly learned the importance of sitting down and sharing a hot home cooked meal with someone, and hearing their story. This, ladies and gentleman, is known as the ministry of presence.

The ministry of presence, without a doubt, touched the hearts of our brothers and sisters at Francis House. I’ll never forget my relationship, with a gentleman named Keith. Keith did not have much or many people outside of Francis House that he could talk to. Regardless, he always walked in with a positive attitude and the biggest smile I’ve ever seen. It was phenomenal, sitting with him, eating multiple helpings, and hearing his story. He would refer to me as his “brother from another mother.” Sadly, Keith passed away last March; but his spirit will forever live on at Francis House and at St. Anthony’s.

Overall, the ministry of presence at Francis House taught me the importance of treating all humans with dignity. Here, we did not treat people differently, but as brothers and sisters in Christ. Though Francis House is now closed, it will forever remain a very special place in my heart. Truly, this is a place that I consider to be a home away from home.

In addition to Francis House, I discovered how important the ministry of presence was to the parishioners at St. Anthony Church. Our neighbor, Vinny, suffered a stroke a while back, and cannot get around much. Often times, Vinny would have conversations for hours, and would drive me CRAZY. However, it took me a while to realize that it’s not as easy for Vinny to have a conversation with someone, who would get very lonely, especially around the holidays. My experience with Vinny taught me the importance of not only listening, but appreciating the community around me, and how fortunate I am to have someone to talk to.

While working at CYFM, I was blessed with the opportunity of serving at Wingate Nursing Home, this past January. Yes, this was a different type of ministry than Francis House, but the gift of the ministry of presence was still alive and well. I did not expect the opportunity to play games, exercise, listen to folk music, or share a few laughs with some wonderful people who will forever touch my heart. This ministry had its share of similarities and differences with Francis House, but it really was about being present and listening to someone else’s story. I remember these three ladies, always enjoyed having me around at their lunch table, as we together shared many stories and laughs among each other. This week, I’m fortunate, yet again, with the opportunity to serve at Wingate, and see some of the same people I encountered in January who changed my heart for the better.

The last component of service, I encountered and really learned to appreciate is living in an intentional community. Over the past two years, I have lived in two intentional communities, which have been there for me during life’s most challenging times. Right before Christmas 2013, I received some distraught news in the midst of a very busy holiday season at the church and school. My father sat me down the Friday before Christmas, and informed me that he had been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer, and did not have long to live. This news vastly changed my approach to life, as my whole world came to a rapid halt. I knew there would have to be some changes made in my life.

However, I could not have endured the devastating and life-changing news about my father nearly as well without the unconditional support of my communities in Camden and here at CYFM. Their ministry of presence proved pivotal in the time that I had left with my father, who passed away this past November. The communities were especially generous in recognizing the time I had with my father, and always offered me compassion, and still do today when I need someone to talk to.

Intentional community and the ministry of presence were two very critical components that helped me get through the past year and half, especially when my father got sick. During this time, I became more present to my father, even if it was just sitting with him in chemo therapy or watching television. This was the phase where I gained an even stronger sense of appreciation for simple living, reminding myself how life can change in the blink of an eye. Moreover, my intentional communities became my second family. Francis House played an enormous role in the healing process, as did my fellow CCVs.

Everything I’ve learned from long-term service has helped me to grow in my life-long service to God and to the less fortunate. By listening to someone else’s story, whether at Francis House or Wingate, I felt myself doing a great service to not only my brothers and sisters, but to Christ himself. As I told our Confirmation retreatants this year, I did not want to give my time to get community service hours, but to be there for others who are not nearly as fortunate. Additionally, my fellow peers have helped me endure the challenges I’ve faced over the years, showing how they’ve ministered to me, with their continued kindness and compassion.

The past two years in Camden and at CYFM have encouraged me to pursue a long term career in service. Next year, I will be taking part in another year of service with Franciscan Volunteer Ministry, with an intention to grow stronger in my faith, while appreciating and living out the three main components of service. Overall, service, especially the ministry of presence, has helped me respond to life’s curve balls in more ways than one.

These three components are not only important for service, but for a vibrant Christian community. Whether at St. Anthony’s or CYFM, I have seen strong, communities formed. Additionally, while visiting St. Anthony’s and Francis House over the past eight months, I have always and will continue to feel at home. This year, I have found a new home right here at CYFM, with my most current community. Please, take advantage of the opportunities you have, whether at your ministries, Mass, or supper, to appreciate the vibrant community, right before our eyes. Thank you, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment